Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Retreat Lesson 1 - Our Purpose

Years ago my church offered a weekend "Women's Retreat" that was held at a church camp. Activities included outdoor services, praise and worship, lots of food, fun and fellowship. There was an optional "Nature Walk" that took participants up a big hill, which was like a small mountain for those not in the best of shape. The reward for making it up "Cardiac Hill" was the presence of an outdoor fellowship and worship sight. It is breathtakingly beautiful. You find yourself standing on top of the hill where a giant cross stands and large boulders serve as pews. Below is a lush wooded valley full of all shades of green in the spring and summer. In the fall you are blessed with incredible corals, oranges, reds and yellows that appear before the winter season sets in.

I was asked to write a "spiritual walk" to go along a nature trail at this camp. I am not an expert on the Bible. I'm not anyone of great importance and I never really knew why I was asked to do this particular task; however, since it was asked of me I grabbed the bull by the horns, immediately started praying, did some Bible research and took that leap of faith that God would give me wisdom and a boat load of creativity. The result was seven lessons that were designed to give participants rest opportunities as well as moments of reflection as they ascended this huge hill. I am still humbled by the opportunity that God and the planning committee for that event had afforded me. I am a woman of faith. I am a Christian and I want to share my Nature Walk with you. I hope it gives you insight into yourself, your relationships with those around you and with God. Thank you, dear readers, for indulging me. Hugs to you on your walk.

OUR PURPOSE INCLUDES SERVING GOD & HELPING OTHERS
Women are very special people. We are indeed different from our male counterparts and that's a GOOD thing. In Genesis 2:20 it is written that Adam had no suitable helper. By verse 22 in that same chapter, woman was created. If you have ever wondered why you were born, you can know that you are here to serve God and to help others.

Please take time now to reflect on the past year and answer the following questions:
How have I served God over the past year?
How have I served God in the past month?
How have I served God in the past week?
How did I serve God yesterday?

How have I helped others over the past year?
How have I helped others in the past month?
How have I helped others in the past week?
How did I help others yesterday?

In remembering those times you served God and helped others, evaluate the impact it had on your relationship with Him.
Did it draw you closer to Him?
Did it have any impact on your relationships with others?
Did you take the time to count your blessings?
Did you stop to consider that what you were doing was of service to God?

There are times we act out of love but forget to acknowledge from where that love comes. All acts of kindness and love are gifts from our Heavenly Father. Each and every time we are given the opportunity to love others is a blessing not to be taken for granted. The purpose of this path is to allow you to see God in the faces of all you come in contact with and in the moments you have to serve. Remember, you are a servant of and warrior for Him.

Please take time now to pray, giving thanks for the gifts He has given you and for the opportunity to do His will by serving and helping others.

It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High. Psalm 92:1

No comments:

Post a Comment