Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Retreat Lesson 5 - God created HUMOR too!

After Brian died I lost my joy. There were times when it was difficult to even crack a smile for many many weeks unless we were talking about something funny that Brian did. To be honest, I found myself feeling a little guilty for a very long time for even enjoying small moments. Somewhere in January, Don and I found joy again. I really don't know if our joy was truly lost or if we just wouldn't allow ourselves to feel it. Either way, we are experiencing happiness once again and we are appreciating it. We have started looking for the humor in situations and it's nice to do that again. I love to laugh! I love to have fun. I am so thankful for Don's sense of humor.

I got to thinking about the importance of humor. I value it highly but I know people who don't. Can't quite figure that out. Is happiness a choice? Sometimes I think it is. This retreat lesson was meant to help those who have difficulty finding humor in daily life. I feel sorry for people who don't laugh very much. I think laughter is a gift. If any of you readers are humor-impaired my hope for you is that you learn to laugh much more often. If you can't or don't want to laugh I hope you at least find more things to smile about. Happiness, hugs and good humor to you all.

GOD CREATED HUMOR TOO!

Have you ever heard anyone ask, "Why would I want to be a Christian and stop having fun?" That was a real slap in the face when I heard that very question uttered to me and my friends in high school. I heard it again when I was in college. Why would anyone think Christians can't, don't or won't have fun? Is it because we give that impression? It's possible.

Being a Christian doesn't mean you've given up your sense of humor. There are many Christians who know how to laugh at themselves and at the world around them. There are Christian Comedians, for Heaven's sake! There are even humorous things to be found in the Bible. Proverbs is full of advice, common sense and quips of wisdom. If you get the chance try looking for humor in things you read. For example, in Proverbs 27: 15 it says, "A constant dripping on a day of steady rain and a contentious woman are alike." I get the impression that the sound of dripping and a contentious woman really got on the author's nerves. I find that funny. I want you to understand that grief, sadness, loneliness and the need for advice aren't the only reasons to seek God's word. We can use His word even when we are happy and feeling good.

Becoming a Christian doesn't mean you have to give up fun and laughter. If it did, we wouldn't have Children's Moments at Church. No one would joke around in Sunday School classes. The preacher wouldn't be allowed to share funny stories if we weren't supposed to enjoy our fellowship together. Laughter is good for the soul. If it wasn't good for our souls there wouldn't be so many references to having a joyful heart in the Bible.

Finding humor in unpleasant situations is a helpful coping mechanism. Humor is a gift. Humor has great and positive impacts on healing from injury and disease. Humor can help you endure or survive any situation that comes your way. Stop and think of the last time you got mad at a family member when you could have laughed at the calamity of the moment. Would changing your perspective from anger to humor have prevented hurtful words from being exchanged? It's possible.

The bone in the upper arm is called the humerus. No matter how corny this may sound I find it interesting that when we comfort people we often put our arms around them. It makes them and us feel better. Humor has the same effect. The next time you put your arm around someone, consider sharing your humor, if it's appropriate, as well as your humerus when offering your love and support.

Think about what's you've read so far and consider this challenge. When you go home, try humor instead of anger when dealing with your toddler, your teenager, your spouse, your loved ones (that includes your in-laws!), your roommates and your pets. LIGHTEN UP if you are an intense person. You'll be amazed at what it does to improve your relationships and what it does for your attitude and outlook on life.

Take a minute or two to reflect on the advantages of humor and pray for a joyful heart.

"These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full." - John 15:11.
"And the disciples were filled with joy, and with the Holy Spirit." - Acts 13:52

3 comments:

  1. I don't know anyone who can smile through all of life's struggles more than you can! You have the most contagious smile - it's hard to imagine anyone who knows you thinking Christians can't have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you must feel like we are stalking you. the truth is, being
    bloggers ourselves, we know how much comments encourage.

    selfishly, everything you wisely say has an impact on me.
    we are going through a heartache with one of ours, and i
    am going to add humor to my response, as well as fasting
    and praying! :)

    blessings,
    lea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for the encouraging words! It means so much. S&S thank you for the smile comment. It took me about 3 months to start smiling again. Lea, I will be praying for you. When I was posting these lessons I was told I could stop after this one. I have two more that I will post in the next couple of days. My prayer is that they are helpful to others. Thanks again both of you.

    ReplyDelete